Based on Romans 8:29 – “For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestine to be conformed to the image of His Son that He may be the firstborn among many brethren.”
To passionately preach the Word of God in order that the hearers might be conformed to the image of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- All mankind are both predestined and called to His image.
- This mission emanates from the beginning of creation when God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...So God created man in His image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.” (Genesis 1:26-27)
- When man fell and rebelled against God, the vessel (man) was “marred” – ruined, spoiled and corrupted as was the Potter’s vessel of Jeremiah 18.
- Imago Dei works with Jesus, the Real Potter, in remaking the vessel again into the original, perfect image and design. (Jeremiah 18:4)
- The new vessel is conformed to the image of Jesus, God’s Son – not outwardly, but inwardly – in man’s heart.
- Imago Dei succeeds at the Mission (Missio) when those we minister to are more like Jesus in their hearts and therefore their actions.
- i.e. When people are transformed and are Christ-like – in love, kindness, power, victory, mercy, forgiveness, truth, justice, gentleness, long-suffering, etc.
Then the Mission is accomplished